DTN--Glassware: Yes, It Does Make a Difference

We all have been to the store to buy wine glasses and noticed that wine glasses come in hundreds of different shapes and sizes! But, have you wondered if the shape or size of the opening of the glass matters when it comes to drinking wine? I put it all to the test!

First, I collected all the supplies for the test. For the different glasses I got a shot glass, a wine glass, a "rocks" glass, a margarita glass, and decanter. I got a bottle of Fetzer Gewurztraminer and Yellow Tail Shiraz to see the difference between white and red wines. Next we put some of the white wine into each of the glass and gave them each a little swirl. I then sniffed each of the glasses to see how the containers changed the aroma of the wine. I then randomly tasted the wine out of each glass to see if the size and shape changed the taste of the wine. When I was done with the white wine, I then did the same test with red wine.
Glass Sizes (Left to Right): Shot Glass, Wine Glass, "Rocks" Glass,  Margarita Glass, Decanter 
The line up with Gewurztraminer
Fetzer Gewurztraminer
White Gewurztraminer:                                                
Shot Glass: I could smell small scents of sweet fruit, possibly grapefruit.

Wine Glass: The scent of the sweet fruit was bigger. I could get aromas of peaches and grapefruit from this glass

Rocks Glass: The scent was even bigger. The aroma of peaches over powered the grapefruit.

Margarita Glass: This glass had no smell at all. I could smell slight peaches from this glass.

Decanter: The aroma is faint but you have to put your nose deep into the opening of the glass. I could get a small aroma of sweet fruit.

Yellow Tail Shiraz 
Shiraz:
Shot glass: I got a light scent of  spices or black pepper when smelling from the shot glass. However, I had to get really close to the glass.

Wine Glass: I got a bigger smell from this glass. I got more of a fruity smell and hints of over ripped fruit. The pepper scent was less noticeable in this glass.

Rocks Glass: There was a bigger scent of cherries and more of a red fruit scent! The peppery scent is more noticeable in this glass.

Margarita Glass: The overall scent is much smaller in this glass. The scent that I could smell was and more peppery

Decanter: The scent is little to none from the decanter. Once I got my nose close to the opening and I could smell a light fruity aroma.


When it comes to the taste of the wine when we look at the different glasses, it really does make a difference. For the Gewurztraminer in the shot glass and in the decanter had the same taste. Now compared to the wine glass, "rocks"glass, and margarita glass, the taste was surprisingly different. These three glasses had more developed flavors and had more sweet flavors pronounced.

In the Shiraz, the glasses were split up the same. The shot glass and decanter had a more pronounced black pepper taste. When compared to the wine glass, "rocks" glass, and margarita glass, the flavors were more fruity but were well balanced with the black pepper.

For the last part of this little experiment, I wanted to see if it was true that if you heated up the red wines with your hands, the taste also changed. So i poured me a fresh glass of the Shiraz into the wine glass and into the decanter. I wrapped my hands around each of the glasses and warmed up the glass and swirled the wine for a minute. I let the wine sit for a few seconds then observed the scent and taste of each of the glasses.

Shiraz after being warmed and aerated 
      The decanter had a few more aromas of cherries and more black pepper. However, the taste of this wine had little to no difference to me. But, the wine glass was different in every way possible. The aroma of cherries over powered the black pepper to the point of not even smelling the black pepper. When I tasted the wine in the wine glass, I could taste a softer tannin wine with a ton of aromas of red berries and cherries. 

I really did learn a lot from this experiment and realized that the glass size, shape, and mouth of the glass really does make a difference. It also makes a difference on how you hold certain wines. So, next time you go out to buy some new vine glass, do some extra research so see what types of glasses will benefit you you the most. Trust me, you'll thank me later! 



Comments

Popular Posts